Thursday, September 8, 2022

Brandied cherries - shelf life

 An update on the brandied cherries I made and stored earlier this year.

Last week, I tried a new combination. I won't say I discovered it, because others have surely tried this or similar combinations before. It was this: brandied cherries and their syrup in a glass of Cherry Dr Pepper.

And thus I learned two new things.

First, the cinnamon-clove-cherry syrup is a wonderful flavor addition to the Dr Pepper. Could it be because those are among the soda's 23 secret flavors? Who knows?

Second, you should believe the brandied cherry recipes that say you can store them in the fridge for 4-6 months. As for mine, almost exactly 6 months later, the syrup itself still tastes great, but the cherries are going mushy and now taste "other than fresh." I guess I should have been making more cocktails or topping more vanilla ice cream to use them up more quickly in these few months.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment