Thursday, March 3, 2022

Brandied cherries

Cherries are not exactly in season in February, but you can find them in the store. (Likely not locally sourced, a relevant note per my last post.) Still, I found myself with a bag of cherries in the fridge and realized they needed to be eaten now or otherwise preserved.

Remembering the syrupy Luxardo cherries in a "grown-up cherry Coke" cocktail I tried at my sister's house over the holidays, I decided to experiment with good old-fashioned brandied cherries.

The following recipe perfectly filled a wide-mouth, quart-size mason jar.

Brandied Cherries

  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 3 whole cloves
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 1 quart sweet cherries, stemmed and pitted
  • 1/2 cup brandy

In a medium pot, combine sugar, water, cloves, and cinnamon stick. Bring to a simmer, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Let simmer 5 minutes.

Remove from heat and stir in cherries and brandy. Let cool, then pour into a quart-size jar (keep spices in the mix). Store in the refrigerator. 

Let them sit at least a few days before using, but the flavors will develop further in a few weeks.

Note: On Day 5, I stirred the cherries and took a taste. The cherry was still a cherry, not slimy or mushy, but just slightly softened as though gently heated before topping a dessert. It had started to absorb the brandy and spices, but only just. The syrup itself is sweet with detectable cinnamon and a light brandy kick. I can see -- taste -- how the flavors will deepen as the ingredients continue to steep for a few weeks.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment