Thursday, February 3, 2022

Adventures in Cake Decorating #11 - Lego Block Cake

It's time for another cake flashback. (I keep telling you, the pandemic has got me baking less.) 

We're looking back, oh my gosh, almost five years on this fun and colorful, albeit hastily built, Lego cake.

We were baking and assembling this thing the morning of my nephew's birthday party, so the icing didn't have time to crust enough between maneuvers. Result: No matter how gently you touch it, the icing sticks to you and smears -- smooth, neat surfaces are but a dream. Oh well. The cakes still look like Lego bricks.

Did you know a regular loaf pan and Oreo cookies are just the right proportions to each other for a Lego cake? 

We baked the cakes in loaf pans and did a little sculpting for straight, flat edges. Two cake recipes gave us three full loaves and a fourth we sliced in half. 

The studs of the bricks are Oreo cookies, hastily covered with buttercream. To make the cakes look like stacked Legos, we stacked them (obviously), and placed stud cookies on only the exposed topsides. There are not Oreos hidden under the stacks.

The other fun decorations were the gelatin Lego pieces and figures. I don't remember how I came across the silicone candy mold for these -- probably a friend from the train showed it to me one day, and I bought it. The kit came with one mold for candies shaped like Lego guys, and another mold for a few different-sized bricks. The brick mold included a lid-like piece to make reverse stud impressions on the bottoms of the bricks, so -- yes! -- you can connect the candies just like regular Lego bricks. 

We used a gummy recipe using flavored gelatin, so the candies tasted like Jello, which was OK. Next time, I would try to intensify the flavor, maybe go for sours.

Also next time, I would give myself more time to build the cake, so the icing work could look a little more polished, but really, the cake tastes just as good either way. Only Pinterest cares how smooth your icing is.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment