Thursday, June 11, 2009

English Muffin Bread...from the Microwave!

It might sound funny, but it's true–you can "bake" some breads by nuking the dough in a 650-watt microwave oven, which also decreases rise time and offers better energy efficiency than a gas oven (especially true if you're only making one loaf).

Since we hadn't had any bread in the house for awhile, Nicole had requested that I bake a loaf or two for sandwiches and breakfast toast, so when I came across a recipe for English Muffin Bread, I knew I'd found what I was looking for. I added a little cinnamon and some raisins for good measure, and although there aren't as many nooks and crannies, the slices toast up nicely and make for an economical choice over the prepackaged varieties you'll find in the grocery store.

Cinnamon-Raisin English Muffin Bread

1/4 cup warm water
2 1/4 tsp. yeast
1 cup warm milk
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. baking soda
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2–1 cup raisins

Place warm water in large bowl; sprinkle in yeast and stir until dissolved. Stir in milk, sugar, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Stir in raisins and add flour gradually until dough is uniformly sticky.

Grease microwave-safe loaf pan; sprinkle with cornmeal (optional). Turn dough out into loaf pan and microwave uncovered at 50% power for 1 minute. Let rest 10 minutes and repeat, allowing another 10 minutes of rest time. Once dough has doubled in size (you might need to repeat the process a third time), microwave on high for 4–6 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes in pan before removing to cool on wire rack.

I've since made this recipe a second time with the same quality result. The picture below also shows a couple loaves of a new multigrain bread recipe I tried. If only our blog offered smell-o-vision!
.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like my kind of baking! I think I will have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete