Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Homemade Ice Cream

Welcome to another installment of the DIY kitchen!

When we last visited St. Louis, my sister-in-law's boyfriend (a sous chef-in-training) let us try a bit of his homemade vanilla ice cream, made from custard. Seeing as how May is likely to bring warmer weather (which makes the ice cream taste that much better), I thought I'd take a stab at my own ice cream concoction. When I was in college I made a banana-peach ice cream using low-fat yogurt; I thought I'd try to take a general frozen custard recipe and recreate a bit of that fruity flavor...which is how I came up with this recipe for Strawberry Banana Ice Cream:

1 cup milk
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 cup mini-marshmallows
1 cup strawberries
2 bananas, mashed

In a saucepan over low heat, whisk milk, sugar and eggs constantly for 10-20 minutes until small peaks form; set aside. When cool, whip the cream with the vanilla and lemon in a stand mixer until peaks form; fold in custard mixture and mashed banana.

For the strawberries, you can do slices if you like, but I processed them into a puree and simmered it over low heat to remove some excess moisture and give each bite more flavor. When that cooled, I added it to the ice cream mixture along with some leftover coconut we had and some not-so-fresh marshmallows (still good, just not fresh, but who can tell in ice cream?).

Anyway, just cover and refrigerate the mixture overnight. The next day, give it a turn in the stand mixer to re-whip it and stick it in the freezer. Not to brag but it came out pretty good; with a little Hershey's on top, it's like eating a banana split!

No comments:

Post a Comment