Wednesday, April 29, 2009

New York City-sized ice collapses off Antarctica

Yep, you read that right. That's about 700 square miles! What's more, the ice shelf's thickness indicates that it took hundreds of years to form - much like the Larsen A ice shelf (collapsed in 1995) and the Larsen B (collapsed in 2002). You can read more/get depressed here.

...just one more sign of what we're going to be dealing with in the coming decades. Ugh, I need a hug. What really gets me - help me out here, Al Gore - is the paradox I'm finding myself in. I still pump out my fair share of CO2 driving the car, taking a shower, watching TV...and yes, even blogging (computer needs power; power comes from power plant; power plant burns fossil fuels). Granted, our carbon footprints measure closer to a sneaker than a snowshoe, but still.

I'm not really a fan of Roland Emmerich's films, but it's got me wondering...is The Day After Tomorrow already here?

No comments:

Post a Comment